- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the beetroot, shallots, olive oil, vinegar, juniper, salt, and pepper together to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a heavy 24-26cm cast iron frying pan and cover the top tightly with foil, then place into the oven to bake for 1 hour, or until the beetroot is tender.
- Unroll the pastry, place it onto a lightly dusted work surface, then dust with flour.
- Using a knife, cut out a circle slightly larger than the frying pan to cover beetroot mixture, then place it over the top of the pan, tucking the edges in down the sides.
- Using a skewer, prick the pastry three times to allow the steam to escape while cooking, then place the pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, then carefully place a flat plate over the top of the pan and, using oven mitts, quickly invert the tarte tatin onto the plate to cool (it’s important not to let it cool in the pan, as the beetroot will stick!).
Serve either hot or cold, drizzled with lashings of balsamic glaze and topped with goat’s curd, orange zest, lemon thyme and watercress.
Share this recipe