For the pesto filling:
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Line three baking trays with baking paper.
- Unroll the pastry sheets and place them onto a lightly dusted work surface, then dust lightly with flour. Using an 8cm x 4cm éclair-shaped pastry cutter, cut out 48 ovals (or cut rectangles if you don’t have an oval pastry cutter).
- Place the pastry ovals onto the lined baking trays, then position metal cookie cutters at the corners of each tray and place an additional tray over the top (so the puff will puff evenly and only as high as your cookie cutters).
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and cook until the pastry is golden.
- Once cooked, remove the pastry ovals from the trays and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the tomato capsicum filling:
- Place the basil and pine nuts into a food processor and pulse a few times until roughly chopped, then add the garlic and pulse a few more times. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is turned on.
- After adding the oil, turn the food processor off and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese, cream cheese and freshly ground salt and pepper to taste, then pulse again until just blended.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a rounded tip.
For the cream cheese filling:
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes & roasted capsicums into a food processor and pulse until puréed, then add the cream cheese and pulse a few more times until the mixture is combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a rounded tip (you can use the same tip as the pesto layer once you have finished piping if you don’t have multiple tips).
To complete the dish:
- Place the cream cheese, oregano, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until completely combined, then transfer to the mixture to a piping bag with a rounded tip.
- Just prior to serving, place an oval of pastry onto your serving plate and pipe a layer of the pesto filling over the top. Place a second oval of pastry over the top, then pipe on the tomato filling. Place a final layer of pastry over the top, then pipe on the cream cheese filling. Continue with all ovals until complete.
To serve, garnish the top layer with fresh basil leaves and toasted pine nuts.
The fillings can be made in advance and stored in the fridge separately, and the pastry can be baked in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
Share this recipe